Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Never Better

The Celebration of Dennis at Philadelphia University on Valentine's Day, was just as Dennis would have wanted, complete with family, friends, food, music, and drink. And stories, lots of stories, for and from so many.

My very brave daughter, Jessica, read a story on my behalf:
I want thank each and every individual here,
each for the varied ways you have embraced my family into yours.
All the kind thoughts, the brave actions, the sincere stories, the deep prayers, and all of the delicious homemade foods,
have sustained my family throughout this journey.

We could not have done this without any of you, near and far,
so for that I gratefully thank each of you.


People ask how I am doing, how the girls are doing.
I try to answer as Dennis had answered everyday
for the past year, no matter how hard the journey became
. . . “never better.”

The past year was the best and the worst year,
it brought Dennis and I closer to each other
in ways I never could have imagined.
This entire journey, with my very best friend and soul mate Dennis,
couldn’t have been any better.


And now, seeing a bit Dennis in each of you,
I know we will all be “never better”
and journey on with Dennis as a guiding light
in each of our hearts.

We all have Dennis stories to share.
Share them freely, as Dennis would want.

Today the blanket of new snow reminds me to feel graced in awe at the beauty of the moment. Just as Dennis would want.

2 comments:

  1. It was so great to see Dennis's life in photos...reminds me of my own story.I had a Volkswagon Van in my life as well. You and your daughters are to be admired for your resilence. Many children Jess's age could not have been so eloquent. Go Kuronen girls you were the best fashion show models !!!
    My husband, who didn't know your family at all was profoundly touched by Dennis' talent and the outpouring of love at the memorial.
    My charge now is to keep the magic of"making cool things alive."
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last week, as my three-year-old son made footprints in the snow, he said - "they'll know who I am".

    Dennis taught me that "concept" could be most important and not to be afraid---to know and trust yourself and your work---to leave a footprint. Through his guidance, and his influence on countless students including myself, Dennis perhaps left the deepest footprint of all. I will forever be thankful to Dennis for being such an enabling (and patient) professor/mentor and giving me the opportunity to teach all that I have learned.

    My thoughts are with his family. Jenny

    ReplyDelete