Sunday, May 1, 2011

May Day Birthday

When I get older losing my hair,
Many years from now,
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings bottle of wine?

If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door,
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?

You'll be older too, 

And if you say the word,
I could stay with you.

I could be handy mending a fuse

When your lights have gone.
You can knit a sweater by the fireside
Sunday mornings go for a ride.

Doing the garden, digging the weeds,

Who could ask for more?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me,
When I'm sixty-four?


Dennis always looked forward to this age,
practicing this song on the guitar
so he could sing it on this birthday
as a real sixty-four year old.

Happy Birthday Dennis.

3 comments:

  1. In spirit, it's time to send another birthday greeting to my fellow Scooper, Scout and nearly lifelong friend. Yesterday, I found yet another opportunity to talk about Dennis' influence on my life to a group of mostly strangers.

    I'm 64 and find myself still puttering around the edges of Boy Scouting, a program many of us Sturgis lads were part of thanks to Dennis' dad, Jolly, and other parents who wanted and expected us to grow up being: Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly.......

    Late last evening at a Scout outing, I participated in a starlit ceremony. About 15 men and teenage boys sat on the ground in a circle where we were invited to talk about someone in our lives who inspired us. There were expected and heartfelt comments about dads, grandfathers and Scoutmasters. When my turn came, it was easy to explain how Dennis served as an "inspiration," even if that one word is a very incomplete way to describe the impact he often made on my point of view and ability to recognize strengths and weaknesses. And always delivered with the best of unselfish intentions and usually in some way that would make me smile and laugh.

    I will "hike on," as the Scouts like to say; we all will, wishing he were here. His inspiration helps me stay on the path.

    Sincerely and with best wishes to all of his family,

    David Super

    ReplyDelete
  2. May first brings two things to mind and heart. Flowers in spring and Dennis's birthday. Happy Birthday.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Dennis. You were always surprised I remembered every year. I was thinking about you on your day, and wanted you to know that we miss you.

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete