Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Art of Medicine


The doctor has taken to doing drawings on index cards for us to better explain what the alphabet-soup words cannot. This drawing shows what the procedures Dennis has just undergone should have looked like, and all the little pen jab dots are part of the explanation of where the procedures did not work. The words on the other side of the card seem like a foreign language to me and so I don't even try to pronounce them. In fact, I no longer look them up on the internet either.

Dennis continues his stay in the hospital. While his lab test results are looking better and better, he is still having a difficult time with food, particularly the hospital food. He does better with the soups I bring from home. Rather than risk having any setbacks by sending him home too soon, he stays hooked up to liquids and medicines to ease his body back into some kind of balance.

Dennis is, and always has been, remarkably patient and persistent in his search for balance

3 comments:

  1. Thinking of you all, thanks Rebecca for taking the time to post updates for us. Love you-
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dennis,

    Let us know when you're ready for some Sturgis Jerkey. I think we've got a package somewhere in the freezer.

    Meanwhile, stick with Rebecca's soup and your loving family and friends. We're looking forward to Philly visits and opportunities spin yarns and save the world.

    David Super

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bec and Dennis,

    Am thinking of you guys and hoping things are going well! I hope you have your strength back soon Dennis and that your pain is manageable. Bec, I hope all the different demands on you aren't getting you down. I went to the physical therapist again today (new one) and they say my knee and now hip are a manifestation of old stress!?! I hope your knees and hips aren't taking a beating :)

    Love you!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete