Monday, November 30, 2009

Words from Dennis

We had a great Turkey Day, here at the homestead. Or to be more accurate, a great, Turduckin Day. For the past few years, we have cooked a professionally prepared dish called a Turduckin, which is a turkey, with a duck inside of it, with a chicken inside of it. It has no bones in it and the variety of the three meats is a nice variety. Cooked just like a regular turkey, it is very moist and delicious. Highly recommended.

Family assembled in force, with Darcy, his son Niles and friend Erica coming down from Boston, sister Kay from Hawaii, Steffen and Elizabeth up from North Carolina. Missing was Gary, but he was here in spirit and we had a nice phone chat with him.

Everybody fixed their favorite dishes and it was a real feast. Tasha put in her contribution of pumpkin pie, apple pie, and apple crisp. What a way she has with baking. Deeelisssshhhhh.
Weather was mixed, but didn't dampen anybody's enthusiasms. Still working on the leftovers tonight (Friday night).

We've had good fun playing pool, eating, backgammon, eating leftovers, going for walks, Darcy on the piano, more food, hilarious games on the Wii, and, of course, the snacking on leftovers.

A wonderful time, all around.

On the health front:
I continue to improve and recover from my two week stay in the hospital. It is slower going than I would prefer but it is steady. Food during the Thanksgiving time has tasted good and the nausea has been kept to a minimum. I am able to dress myself, fix meals and get around the house. I can't drive a car yet, because of the narcotics for pain control. My stamina and strength are still very low. I can walk up a flight of stairs, slowly, but by the time I get to the top, I have to stop and rest.

Next week we will do another CT scan and see what progress the tumor has made. It has been growing, no doubt, since I have been off treatment, and we need to get back into combat mode to try to shrink this thing again. The difficulty is that the treatment itself really beats me up and I'm not sure I'm strong enough yet to withstand the chemo. We are now finished with radiation and can't do any more on this body.

I have been having trouble with swelling in my ankles and lower legs. It doesn't really hurt, but does give us concern, in watching out for blood clots, fluid retention, etc. I am wearing support stockings (very stylish) which do help, and I try to keep my legs elevated as much as I can. They are pretty funny looking, since they are white. When I am wearing just the support hose, without pants, I look like that painting of King Louis the 14th (I think) by either Ingres or David (I think), wearing his panty hose outfit. What a dandy.

I have a nurse come in once a week to check on me and make sure we are tending me correctly and that things are going well. Since I still have a tube sticking out of my stomach, we have to watch for infection, and make sure the bandages aren't leaking too much. Rebecca is still doing a fantastic job on the home care. I couldn't do it without her.

I hope to get back to full energy at the office sometime soon. I do what I can from home, keeping up with emails, advising students if necessary, writing recommendations and occasional reports.

7 comments:

  1. Great looking crew. Tasteful of you to leave out the support hose pix, although from your description, I have a pretty good image. Nice.

    Much love, BF

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. the turduckin recipe sounds wonderful. If I recall, it's a cajun innovation, yes? Out here of course, it's a secondary sport related to the various cow pie and buffalo chip throwing contests.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dennis,

    What a trend-setter you've become, what with the long white socks and all. Of course, you've always forged ahead on the fashion scene. More than once you've reminded me of the time we hiked to the top of Bear Butte, you most artfully shod in my mother's red, zipper-front oversoes. The ones with the gray furry tops.

    I'll bet that somewhere in your wardrobe rests a pair of blue jeans from Penneys, the variety that were sewn with red thread. If anything drove me into the job market it was the opportunity to buy my own clothes. "I'll take care of it, mom."

    Bless all of their hearts and good intentions.

    I just hope you didn't pay too much for those "dandy" leggings.

    Keep getting stronger.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha...the turduckin. Nathan and I did one a couple years back. I have heard of people stuffing the whole thing into a ostridge. Glad to hear you are getting your stength back and from the looks of it doing some pool sharking.
    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings from Sleepy Hollow, NY.

    Glad to hear about your progress. Slow and steady wins the race or so the saying goes.

    We brined and deep-fried our turkey this year, perhaps deep fried turduckin next.

    Keep fighting the good fight.

    Shoey

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pics are great and your words remind me of the gratitude the whole holiday is about. Was feeling that kind of thankfulness for family and friends today... both at a show about Aesop's Fables during which Zoe volunteered to be a sheep (adorable) and at a holiday parade I went to with Zoe tonight. It was sooooo cold and she wouldn't leave until she saw Santa. Her face was all aglow with wonder when he went by. Life is so darned beautiful when we open ourselves up to it, huh?

    Am so glad you're gaining strength again and are able to eat more. Especially given Tasha's baking abilities! Can't wait to see you guys again soon!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dennis,

    This is my first comment to an official blog, and I'm glad that it's you who is my first. Please be gentle. This site is a great idea, and a great way to stay in touch. One of the fellow twinners just sent me the link, and I must say I am very impressed. We at twin all miss your presence, but not quite as much as your witty banter regarding the increasingly sloping yield curve and its effects on the U.S. dollar.

    On the tennis front, Glenn, Rich, and I miss returning that nifty spin serve of yours, and our games are definately missing your good nature and easy going play. It was always the highlight of my week.

    During the summers, when our kids we young, I have fond memories of you and I bringing our girls to the park to play. Little did they know that we were just as happy to go to the park and play tennis with Matt and Glenn, or hang out with the park crew. They would beg me to take them, and I would slowly agree. It was quite an act.

    I think I can speak for all of the twinners in that we speak of and think of you often, wishing there was something useful we could do for you. I guess for now all we can do is hope to read many more blogs from you, and that one day you'll teach me that nifty spin serve.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete