Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Dancing Lessons

Dennis is still in the hospital. Just when we think we are headed out the door, the word comes down that yet another consult or observation or procedure needs to be done before we can leave. The team of doctors working with Dennis are all wonderful, but sometimes I wonder if they actually talk to each other.

Today Dennis had a small procedure to help plug this leak that has sprung from the biliary catheter site. This does not complete the procedure that was begun last week which will still need to be done at some point, but it makes it more comfortable for him . . . and less messy for me!

Dennis is getting stronger and he is able to eat more diverse foods. The pain medications are tough on his system though, upsetting his stomach as well as his memory and logic. He continues to be a real trooper, never complaining, always ready with a joke, often at his own expense. Hopefully he will be able to come home tomorrow, but one never knows how the wind will blow from moment to moment. We just keep dancing to whatever tune the universe plays for us!

2 comments:

  1. Dennis, you’re the closest thing I’ve ever had to a mentor. I’ve learned to teach from you—now you are teaching me how to live with grace and courage. Rebecca, thank you for this link. Know that you both are in our thoughts daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Note from Dennis:

    Dear Beth,
    Luckily for me, teaching and learning exist as a two way street, and I have learned much from you as well. You were the one to show me the ropes when I first came on board at PU, for which I will be forever grateful. Thank you for your continued support Beth, it means so much to me to have you as both a friend and a colleague.
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete